The WLCT is a private, nonprofit organization founded in 1987 to protect open space in Warren and keep that land undeveloped forever.
The WLCT preserves and restores land for the benefit of the general public and the conservation of Warren’s natural resources, including:
- Plant and animal habitats
- Unique natural and scenic sites
The WLCT is under the stewardship of volunteer Warren residents.
Land that is acquired by the WLCT is not owned by the Town government, it is held by the Trust for all to enjoy.
The fundamental By-laws for the WLCT date to it’s founding in 1987. They were recently updated by the membership at the 2018 Annual Meeting.
‘We Think The World of Warren’
The Trust’s motto, We Think The World of Warren, explains the motivation behind our efforts to preserve and protect Warren’s entire natural environment for future generations as described in our Mission Statement.
The following Mission Statement and set of Guiding Principles was adopted by the Board of Directors on June 5, 2018:
The Warren Land Conservation Land Trust thinks the world of our town’s natural lands and waters. We are a community-based organization devoted to conserving, caring for, and providing access to these open spaces. The town’s shorelines – the Warren River, the Palmer River and the Kickemuit River – anchor our vision, with their large stretches of connected marshland and wetlands.
Our members recognize the importance of Warren as an area of great natural resources, scenic beauty, historical significance, and cultural heritage. Bay, river, marshland, wetlands, and other natural areas contribute to the health and sustainability of our historic waterfront village and the surrounding residential, business and agricultural community.
- We are committed to integrity in our business and our work – with landowners, community partners, donors, funders, and volunteers.
- We cherish our connection to our town’s land and water by protecting natural areas and enhancing public access.
- We have a responsibility to future generations to protect those natural areas that sustain our quality of life.
- We believe that a healthy environment and a healthy economy are inextricably linked.
- We are dedicated to working with our neighbors to help preserve the natural character of the town.
- We value our relationship with landowners who have voluntarily entrusted to us the stewardship of their land for the benefit of future generations.
- As stewards in perpetuity of the lands entrusted to us, we are committed to managing our resources carefully and planning for organizational sustainability.